Saturday, May 1, 2010

Our Nuchal Scan and OUR BOYS :)

We had such a great a great appointment yesterday. Of course any appointment where Pat get to come along is extra good.

At this point the test are used to look for chromosome abnormalities and predicts your likelihood of having a Trisomy 13 or 18 (both are fatal) or Trisomy 21- also known as downs. Walking in our ration was 1 in 760 for downs and 1 in about 200 for Trisomy 13 &18 So this part of the test is important of course..... however my eye was on finding out the genders :)

So I saw our ultrasound tech and immediately got excited, she was super friendly and a bit older and I was assuming she had been doing this a long time.... so I was hoping I could convince her to take a peek .....and it didn't take much convincing :) I was like "would you possibly mind taking a quick peek at what we have cooking in there.... I know its early...but..." and before could finish she said "sure" and had the wand right where it needed to be.

I have been looking at tons of earlyultrasound pictures (I am crazy I know) so I knew right away and said "Well I know what that is... that is a boy" and she answered with "yep and so is the other one" hahahaha Pat was THRILLED he shouted "Yes" and laughed because of course I was sooooo certain I had at least one little girl in there.... nope not so much. She had scanned the second baby so quick I hadn't gotten a good look so I figured of course I knew better and maybe she hadn't really seen... but when she did the full body scan on my little baby there was no denying that one was also a boy. Twin boys.... never in my dreams would I have expected that although I am super excited, two Momma's boys on the way... and I will forever remain the princess of our household.... Oh and lots of people remind me that its early and things can change or be miss read--- our tech was so certain when I said "don't worry I won't go out shopping for blue just yet" she looked at me like I was crazy.... So I have been looking up the accuracy of the "nub" test at this gestation and it seems to be over 90% (some studies was 98%), the ones that are diagnosed wrong are typically babies that are said to be girls and turn out to be boys... less then 2% of the errors were in babies diagnosed as boys that turn into girls... so I am pretty certain team blue all the way :)

Really I should have expected it for 2 reasons... 1) in the last two years I have had more then 8 babies born to close friends.... all girls... someone was due for a boy and I made up for it by having two :)Plus someone is going to have to date all of those girls in about 18 years and 2) Pats brother has three boys... gender determined by the father... = I should have guessed my husband would be having some sons... and of course he is very proud of himself!!!

Now for the very important stuff..... after our scan and our bloodwork the chances of all of these chromosome abnormalities has decreased to less then 1 in 10,000 for both!!! The Dr. said they are off the charts healthy and we really couldn't be happier or more blessed.

They for sure have very different personalities all ready... Baby A is extremely spunky and active, kicking, punching, moving all over... Pat was like "he is going to be a fiesty little one" and Baby B was calm just kinda relaxing an kept putting his little hands on his face. The ultrasound tech kept pushing on my belly to have him move his hands out of the way... but in the end she said our boys cooperated great and she couldn't have asked for more in my babies.

Oh and they are now both measuring ahead at 13 weeks exactly, I was only 12 weeks 4 days so my little monkeys are great!!!

So as far as I go............ they weighed me when I got there.................. I am up 11 lbs!!!! So at first I was horrified then tried to make myself feel better by reasoning... I am almost 13 weeks 2 babies that is less then 1 pound a week... plus we had eaten lunch on the way to the apt with a big drink so I am sure that was a pound hahaha. They want me to gain about somewhere about 50 lbs.. I am hoping to roll in at 40... and to be back to pre preggo size by Christmas... A girl has got to dream right?!?!?!?

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment