Sunday, July 4, 2010

Another trip to the ER

UGH!!!! So I promise.. I really try not to complain, really I do.... but SERIOUSLY this pregnancy stuff is totally kicking my BUTT....

So the last week, maybe two I have been having some upper back pain, all on the left side of my spine. I can deal with it... and then it gets worse, much worse where it seriously hurts too breath. I have heard all of these things about pregnant ladies ribs getting dislocated and I was thinking maybe that was what was going on because of the location of the pain. I would try to stretch, lay flat, sit in all different directions or walking.. now walking helps but of course being on bedrest walking all day is somewhat out of the question.. So I decided I would start at the chiropractor.

That was a disaster in a half. The poor guy gets there.... on a Saturday... because he came in just to see me... well he just moved offices this past Thursday and his key doesn't work :( So he sends us away for thirty minutes to try and work on getting in... 30 minutes later calls and still can't get the door open so we go home till he calls. 2 hours later we are back. He starts going over my medical history which is a chore in itself because on top of the regular stuff he goes into my previous back/neck issues which have been pretty extensive as well. We get through all of that and the guy gives me an adjustment and some other little weird treatments, but he wasn't really sure he found the source of the pain ... I get home and relax on the couch and then the mother of all pain shows up.. OH MY GOD I couldn't breath it hurt so bad... awful. So I make a call to my OB and low and behold she send me to the ER to be sure I am not also having contractions.... I guess you can have those and not know it....Who knew???

So my Dr said go to the ER, get checked in, the will send us to labor and delivery and then we will return back to the ER. I tell the ladies at the desk what I was told to do and they tell me I have to go right up to labor and delivery because I am over 20 weeks... ok fine... so I am waiting for Pat to finish parking the car and this lady goes "oh honey are you in labor?" I told her no I was just there for pain and of course she asks when I am due, because obviously she thinks its any minute.... After I give her the answer I quickly tell her there are two babies in there and she lets me off the hook...

For the record I now tell people I am due in October for one that is when they are doing my c-section and for two because I can stand the OMG looks on their faces when I tell them Nov because I guess I am a total moose....

So then I have the nice orderly guy bring me a wheel chair to get to the other side of the hospital and of course he has my info since he works there and he says "wow I can't believe you are only 21-22 weeks and are sticking out and showing that much already" Do all men have no sensors on this one??? Thanks for the chit chat big guy.. but I am over hearing I am huge and would really like to just get to the other side of the hospital please!!!

We get settled into Labor and delivery and have the absolute nicest nurse I have ever met and on top of that she was really funny. She was telling us stories on how she loved the 4th of July and all the other "fun" holidays because so many women come in to have their babies with REALLY drunk husbands. Her personal views was that the moms bring them there on purpose to get even :) So the babies check out fantastic.. even though little Weston gave her a hard time and was moving so much she couldn't get an accurate read on his heart rate. They strap the contraction monitor on and I wasn't contracting but she said I was having "irritations" every 20 seconds which are no biggie so down to the ER we go...

This is where they thoroughly freak us out. After going over my history and symptoms they are concerned I have a pulmonary embolism. 8 hours in the hospital, 2 different IV sites, chest Xray, CAT Scan (yes I had no idea these were ok during pregnancy either but they said basically they are safe enough...) EKG because my heart rate was high and test for liver function........ FUN TIMES.. but everything checked out ok. They said its a muscle strain caused from the bedrest...

That is the great news, the babies and I are healthy... I guess the not so great news is that this is just something I will deal with until the babies are born...14 more weeks (as of tomorrow)!!! I am lucky that the pain that is super severe (where I can't breath pain) only happens 4-5 times a day the rest of the time I can tolerate it ok.

I have so many friends and people tell me to enjoy this special time of my life, that pregnancy is beautiful and wonderful .... while it may be those things... I just count down the days till its over...... maybe if my body was a bit more cooperative... I would be loving this part of baby making more :)

All I can say is I will love and spoil the my boys... and then tell them they are crazy if they ever ask for a little brother or little sister :)

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment