Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Home sweet...Hospital!!!

Well if you could guess by the title.. things at the Dr's office didn't go so well today.....

It took all of about 5 seconds in the ultrasound room to see we had a problem. My favorite tech said "wow, you have gotten pretty short" and I could clearly see the "funneling" of my cervix... it looks just like the name sounds, the top has a wide opening and it funnels down smaller till its closed... the problem with funneling is that the amniotic sac starts to slip into the opening leaving a big risk for your water to break and end in pre-term labor.

A decent length measurement is somewhere in the high 3's. Last time I went in, it had gone down to about 2.5 and then today it was only 1.5.... so with the big change in length along with the funneling I was doomed... The tech then said "Well lets she what the Dr. is going to do with you...." and at that point I knew exactly where I was headed... The Dr. said had I not had the cerclage I would have already delivered the boys!! Thank goodness we have made it this far...

I asked if I could go home and get my things together... and the answer was a big fat "no, strait to the hospital you go"Of course my first call is to Pat, who completely thought I was kidding.. I was like no seriously... and I got the "ya sure" and he finally was starting to believe me and said "for how long?? just tonight??" and when I gave him the wonderful news of at least until 28-30 weeks but if it changes or get worse I will be here until the boys are born....... then he thought I was kidding again...... Poor guy..... Although I am sure he will be happy to not have to cook dinner and wait on me I know visiting the hospital on an almost daily basis isn't really his idea of a fun time :)

The Dr. also said at this point our magic number is 28 weeks... so 2 1/2 more and we will be in a much safer zone... I guess at that point the long term damage of being born prematurely is very minimal.

Now let me tell you how this admitting stuff works...

1) get all settled in the room (currently sharing but will be moved to a private one later)

2) meet all of the nurses- super nice- we are good to go there

3) they decide we need some blood drawn-- not too horrible I am ok with needles...

4) they then decide we need to start an IV-- ok I can deal I have GREAT IV veins, never a problem.......

5) first IV attempt--FAIL... ouch

6) second IV attempt-- FAIL... Ouch

7) third IV attempt-- FAIL... What the heck!! OUCH blood all over the blankets, seriously at this point I was ready to do it myself!!!!!!

8) forth IV attempt-- thank the lord-- its in!!!

9) shot of steroids in the butt for the babies lungs

10) my blood thinner shot

11) two type of antibiotics started to be sure there is nothing going on in there

12) Sweet nurses and Dr's come back to get "A Swab" key note "A"--- LIARS

13) Swab one in the whoo hoo-- all right??

14) Swab two in the whoo hoo--- Really???

15) Swab three in the whoo hoo--- This stinks!!

16) Swab four in the whoo hoo---Seriously???

17) Swab "on the outside" of the hinny--LIARS last time I checked THAT IS NOT the outside!!

18) finally done with that crap...........

So for now the schedule is one more shot of the steroids tomorrow to help develop their lungs, it helps prepare them to breath on their own if they do make an early debut. There little heartbeats are checked 3 times a day, monitoring for contractions, cervical dilation, and then a weekly growth scan.

Weston gave the nurses a hard time tonight... wouldn't stop moving around so they couldn't get his heart rate, they had to come back with a different machine and try again.. maybe he was trying to make up for the fact they hurt his momma!! Jamison was, as always, super cooperative :) I also have some very sweet 3-d pictures of both of their faces from earlier today. They have changed so much, their little cheeks have started filling out. I am not sure how I can get the pictures loaded from the hospital, but if I can I will. Here is my prediction, sweet Jamison seems like he will look more like me, and as very fitting, my busy boy will look alot like his daddy, I guess we'll see soon if I am right :) As excited as I am to meet these little guys I am praying they stay put for a few more weeks at least....

~Heather

PS- up 5 more lbs, I guess the one I saved from last visit decided to come this time... 36 lbs and counting....

2 comments:

  1. awwww shucks..I hoped, like you for longer at home but yay that you are so safe at the hospital...out with the weight gain because the food is so delicious there..hahahahha

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you will be treated like a princess there and get waited on hand and foot! Just rest and keep those boys in there a few more weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete