Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tuesday 10/12/10

Awe another day to hold my babies together... I LOVE IT!! Its funny how each nurse has their rules and quirks. Today we had the same nurse as yesterday and so when she offered of course I said I would love to!!! Tomorrow (as long as everything goes as planned) she is going to let me have kangaroo time with both babies!!! I can't wait!

For today's updates:

Mr. Jamison... this little stinker was still having spells!! I had gotten to the hospital at 8:00 am so I had caught the Dr. fairly early on her rounds and asked about thickening his milk again. She said she would like to give it some time because he had a few good days (when they were thinking of sending him home) she just wanted to wait and see. Of course we talked about the monitors, he still needs to go 2-3 days with no spells but as soon as he does we can bring the little guy home. Tomorrow Pats mom and I (she got in today and is staying for a month to help with the babies, so happy to have her!!!) are going to a class so we know how to operate the machine and we both had to go to CPR classes. I am certified already (so is Pat) but I figured a refresher course wouldn't be a bad idea, my class was today, hers is tomorrow. So after that we are all set.

Well at 9:00 am it was time for his feeding and he had 2 spells while he was drinking, one just because he went to fast and one because he started to choke... I was watching the numbers on the monitors so I saw them happening and helped him out of them before he alarmed, but still they happened... After he finished he was wide awake so I was talking to him and all of the sudden he spit up and he had a big spell... A nurse (not ours she was on break) came by to record it and when she saw his record with all of his spells being the same situation, during a feeding or with a spit up she asked if he was on thickened milk and I told her I had been asking them to try him on it for awhile now with no luck she said "hmmm... well maybe they just need to see more documentation...." so she wrote down a few more notes. When my nurse came back I mentioned to her what happened (she also thinks he needs it) and a minute later the Dr. came walking through the nursery. We called her over and with the new info she finally agreed to have speech come evaluate him. I was worried that he wouldn't act up for the therapist and would have a great feeding (thats when they do his testing) but he was such a good boy (well naughty actually but that was what we wanted) he had a spell, threw himself at the end of his feeding, turned red and was grunting... her diagnosis.. just as I thought, he is having a reflux problem... and what did she recommend???? Thickened milk!!! I really hope this will help him, so far it looks like it has. He had 3 bottles since switching and no spells! I feel bad that these spells are most likely caused by pain from reflux, my poor baby :( Fingers crossed he will get some relief. Tomorrow they are going to do a speech follow up for him and for his brother.......

Ugh.... my little Weston is back to giving his momma gray hair. Not so much from spells which he is still having occasionally but for the last few days he has been losing weight :( For sure not what we are wanting. He is finishing his meals (sometimes slowly) so its not that he isn't eating enough, here are a few other reasons they are saying could be causing it.

-the fact that his temperature has been inconsistent making him burn to many calories to stay warm
-he is getting sick
-he is working hard to eat burning too many calories that way

They sent off some blood work to see how his white blood cells are doing which of course will let us know about any possible sickness and then they will go from there. I also am keeping in the back of my mind a possible food allergy. He has been going poo like crazy, which is partly what is bringing this to my attention. Pat has an allergy to soy and that is his reaction, if he eats alot he looses weight fairly quickly. Both boys are primarily on breastmilk but all of the preemies get two bottles of formula daily. I mentioned this theory to the nurse who told me "oh there is no soy ingredients in either brand we use, I know they have checked into that before". I found that hard to believe because I have grocery shopped and cooked for Pat for 4 years.... soy is in practically EVERYTHING. Of course I double checked and sure enough its in both brands, the 3rd ingredient in one and the 4th in the other. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it but I think I will mention it to the Dr. tomorrow... couldn't hurt right??? I REALLY hope he is not getting sick, that would be worst case scenario at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment