Friday, August 13, 2010

This is B-a-n-a-n-a-s!!!!

27weeks 5days

Here in the hospital they have now changed the order system for our meals...Instead of just delivering at 3 specific times you call downstairs and order your meals when you are hungry anytime between 7:00-7:30. Good news is food is actually hot (well warm...) when it gets here, bad news it doesn't taste any better.

So I wake up this morning and order my regular breakfast and ask for a banana.... this is how that conversation went....

"Oh I am sorry you can not have a banana"
"why not?"
"because of your allergy"
"I am only allergic to latex"
"yes, latex is in the banana"
"WHAT?!??! its a banana???"
"yes but there is latex in the skin of the banana"
"I don't plan on eating the skin......"
"I am so sorry, how about a nice fruit cup instead"
"how about your shove that fruit cup in your...." Ok I didn't say that but I wanted to!!!!

I was so peeved. Let me add I have eaten a banana a day since I have been here. It was a hand written system that people would check, obviously no normal person would see it as a problem so they were giving them to me.. but now with this new ordering system by computer it is flagged. There are only 3 options for fresh fruit, banana, grapes, and an apple......... I have 2 months left in this place and I love fruit, they can not take this away...... so I plotted and planned for Pat to smuggle in a bunch at a time.... I will show them!!!

Shortly later the Dr. comes in for rounds and I answer his daily questions, he starts to leave. Normally I try to be very complacent with both them and the nurses but this time I decide instead of having the hubby get in trouble for smuggling in the forbidden fruit I would just ask him to fix the banana issue... he says

"oh I am sorry but there is latex in the skin"
"not going to eat the skin... I promise"
"yes but you will hold the banana in your hand, therefore touching it and exposing yourself"
"I have eaten them almost daily for 30 years and I have yet to have a problem"
"so you have eaten bananas before?"
"yes, almost daily.......well until today"
"and you have never had a problem"
"no"
"hmmmm...............ok I will get you a banana"

SERIOUSLY???? You would have thought I was asking for a shot of vodka served in a latex glass or something! Supposedly he put orders in my chart that they are not a no-no anymore so hopefully upon my breakfast order tomorrow they won't give me any grief. Who would have thought that one of the most simple fruits contain latex??? Not me!!! Don't these people know not to mess with a pregnant ladies food???

~Heather

1 comment:

  1. I didn't understand what your facebook post was about but now I get it!! I hope you got your banana on Saturday!! =)

    ReplyDelete