Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saturday 9/18/10

Let me first apologize for my misspellings and errors on the last few posts.. I tried to fix most of them but I am sure I missed a few. I was so exhausted but I wanted to be sure to get all caught up so I didn't miss or forget anything so I wrote out all the post in one sitting and kept falling asleep while typing :) Now that I am more caught up I am hoping I will be better.... although I am not any less tired so who knows hahahaha.

We called on our boys this morning to get the best time to visit and the nurse let us know that if we get there at 11:30 we could give little Jamison his bottle :) Pat was pretty happy since he had missed the day before and also staked claim on holding him when we got there. Of course being the new momma I want to do everything but I have no problem stepping aside and letting Pat enjoy the baby time.... it is almost as nice watching him bond with them as it is when I am doing it myself.

We got there right on time and I got to change his diaper and get him all ready for Pat. They handed him the baby and the nurse explained the feeding to him and was warning us that he may have trouble or be a bit lazy with his bottle since the nurse the night before I guess seemed to have a hard time getting him to take it... well that was not the case today!!! Pat plopped the bottle in his tiny little mouth and it was gone in 30 seconds, honestly he ate it as if it were his last meal... maybe he just didn't like the nurse he had the night before, he is a great eater for his mommy and daddy :) Best part... after the bottle was done and Pat was snuggling with him he turned his head, mouth open, tongue out and started rooting around on Pat chest looking for some more food, sorry kiddo, daddys boobies won't be much help hahaha. She let us have so much time with him that for once both of us were able to hold him during the same visit... we loved it... and he was so alert for us, just looking around checking everything out. She also said that in the next 2-3 days he should be able to get his IV out!!! Great news! It is the last step before he moves into a lower level NICU, they call them the "growers & feeders", the goal there is just to get them to the point where they can go home!! That will be an amazing day :) Oh and the little guy got hiccups again while we were there, I got it on video, hopefully tomorrow I can upload it :)

Little Weston was still recouping from his picc line procedure this morning so we just peaked at him through the glass. She said he had been doing well with just a few "spells" through the day. They have decreased his fluid in the IV and the level of humidity in his bed to try to help bring the pressure off of the valve in his heart to see if that will maybe stimulate it to close.... good news there, it seems to be helping him breath. He was looking much less labored and his levels were just overall a bit better. I am praying this does the trick for him. They are going to re- check the valve in about 4 days to see how he is doing :)

Being Saturday we decided to make a second trip to the hospital for a visit...
Jamison was up first since it was just a peak and when we got there we saw him for the first time.... wearing a T-Shirt!!! It was so cute, a tiny white long sleeve number, kinda like a toga style, up till now he was a little naked baby. We had our hands in his bed just talking to him and touching his little head when his neighbors parents came.............. the nurses asked them if they wanted to hold their baby and they said "no we aren't feeling very well we don't want to get him sick" Pat and I looked at each other and shut both the doors to Jamison's bed... what idiots!!!! I can't believe the nurses let them stay in the room!!! You sign a paper when you walk in saying you aren't sick why on earth they would risk getting the other babies sick is beyond me... yes sure their baby was safely in its enclosed bed but not all the babies are closed in. There are 92 in the NICU some as little as 10 oz!! Getting a cold or simple "bug" could kill them and I am sure they wouldn't appreciate if some sick person breathed all over their baby!! Stupid!! Anyway, sorry for my rant there.... we closed up our baby so he didn't get any germs & went over to see his brother.......

Weston's nurse today is great!! She was the same as I had the day before and had let me hold him for so long. Since she had already changed his diaper & bandages from the picc line so she offered to let us hold him :) Its weird waiting for someone to OK when you can touch & hold your baby but I know its for the best... this particular nurse really likes babies to be held by their parents (to bad I couldn't have her all the time) so she's super helpful. Pat had only held Weston once it was his turn again tonight and the little guy stretched and opened hi eyes for us... we hadn't seen them much since he always has his "sunglasses" on to protect his eyes from the jaundice lights so it was nice to see a bit more of his little face.... now if we could just get rid of the cpap we could see his whole face for once :)

We gave a quick call into the nurses this evening to find out they were able to take Weston's little cup thing off, it was the one that they were using to take out extra air from his tummy, such great news! One less tube in his stomach and one less thing hanging off his tiny body. He had also not had any spells in a few hours!! Keep fighting little guy you are doing a great job!!!!

Looking forward to seeing them tomorrow! In the mean time I am off to have my nipples ripped up by that ever so gentle thing they call the breast pump........ its all for a good cause :)

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya on the breast pump! Also I would hve complained about the sick parents. People don't understand that them breathing in the same room could make those little guys sick. Brielle was in the nicu during the H1N1 flu. we were on lock down only parents and if we had a fever or a slight cough we could not go in. So glad the boys are doing good.

    ReplyDelete