Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thursday 9/30/10

Gesh... honestly these babies are torturing their parents.......

Let me start by saying, thank goodness that only one baby has a bad day at a time because if they both did... Lord help me I have no idea what I would do.

I got to the hospital for Weston's first visit of the day and it was the worst one I have had since they have been born. He was so alert and happy this morning, his nurse and I got him all set for his bottle, which he normally takes just fine........... not this morning. Just as he started sucking his oxygen level began to drop, at first slowly... his nurse asked if he was "desating" meaning it was actually going lower and not a false alarm which happens occasionally as the baby squirms and I said I don't know, I had taken the bottle out of his mouth and was just waiting, his oxygen went lower, and lower, he began to spell, his heart rate dropped into the 60's (from 140) oxygen down to the 50's from 100 percent and all the sudden the color drained from his face and he turned blue.... It was the worst feeling in the world I was so helpless and poor Weston was struggling so bad, it broke my heart worse then I knew was possible. The nurse tossed him back into his bed, grabbed the bag and the oxygen mask to bring him back and I stood there and watched and prayed.... it was horrible :( Thank God with oxygen he improved (and they didn't use the bag, that... I don't think I could have taken) He was touch and go, up and down for the next hour, his nurse said if it continued they would have to move him back downstairs :( I tried to explain to her that this wasn't normal for him, it was a first (hopefully last). Poor guy, she gave him his pacifier, which he loves, to see if it would remind him to breath and unfortunately it didn't work so she had to take it away and little man did not like that.... I wanted Pat, my Dad, Pat's mom, my mom....anyone, its crazy, as my baby needed me, I needed my parents... although I think I would have settled for a hug from a stranger at that point....

I sat and watched him while I waited for Jamison's time and warned the nurse that if Jamison had a spell while he was eating, I was calling it a day...... I was not going to be able to watch both of them struggle.... I think I am a pretty strong person overall but this breaks my heart.....

Turns out his nurse last night switched the type of nipple on the bottle (her name is Gail and I LOVE her, she is a nurse that tries to work with him instead of giving up and putting his milk in the feeding tube) and he did sooooo much better. The nipple mimics breastfeeding and although the flow is faster it sits differently in his mouth and I think this may be the trick for him. His nurse feed him in the morning and I feed him twice later and he didn't have one spell (thank you, thank you, thank you). Being the big boy he is, he is now able to regulate his body temperature so........ my little munchkin graduated into an open crib!!! Yay Jamison!! No more isolette for you!

Anyways back to my little guy... after a quick lunch and pumping break I was back for his later visit (scared to death to touch him) and I walked in to find... him doing physical therapy... He was acting as if the whole morning fiasco never happen (easy for you buddy) and he did really well... he was super alert and right on target from what she said. They did recommend a Speech Therapist evaluation........ Yes I think this sounds crazy too... the baby won't be able to talk for 2 years or so, however they said they can really look at his tongue and how it works and possibly recommend a different type of nipple (maybe the one Jamison is on or it could be another) to help him with his feedings in hopes to avoid a repeat of this mornings events... Fingers crossed they can help my little peanut.

In other news.... for anyone who has never nursed... something I find interesting..... after a shower and you are all clean, getting dressed, know that at any given time you boobies may start shooting off like rockets, no warning, doesn't matter if you just pumped and drained those bad boys, its full force fire hose... keep nursing pads, tissue, towels... or a bucket handy :)

Praying tomorrow is a good day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment